Date of Birth: 20.11.1962
Academic Qualifications: M.A. (English Literature and Linguistics), M.Phil. (Stylistics) and PhD (ELT). First class First all through.
Specialisation: Applied Linguistics
Present Position: Associate Professor, Dept. of English, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Teaching Experience: 23 years.
Current Research Supervision: 1 M.Phil awarded, 4 PhD awarded, 5 PhD theses submitted, 2 PhD scholars ready to submit, 3 halfway through and 1 just started. All working in Linguistics and related areas.
- Communicative Language Teaching: Then and Now(Books Plus, New Delhi, October 2006)
- An Outline History of English Literature (Updated Hudson s edition by adding a chapter, Vishal Publishers, Chandigarh, 2002)
Research Papers in International Journals
- CLT in India: Context and Methodology Come Together (ELT Journal, U.K., July 2004)
- The Communicative approach is never the problem(IATEFL Issues, July-September 2004)
- Interactive-Communicative Teaching and the Young Indian Learner (Profile, National University of Colombia, Bogota, 2004)
4. Who is a good teacher? (IATEFL Issues, February-March, 2005)
5. ELT in India: The Voyage. (Asian EFL, South Korea Hardcover, 2005)
Research Papers in National Journals
1. Tigers and Elephants: Ringside View of the Economic Transformation of
India (ICFAI Journal of English Studies, Hyderabad, October 2006)
2. The Poetics and Poetry of Childbirthâ€¦Three Woman Poems
(Punjab Journal of English Studies, GNDU, Vol. XVIII, 2003)
3. Distance Education Comes of Age
(Indian Journal of Distance Education, Panjab University, 2000)
- The Indian Classroom A Case Study (Criticism and Research, B.H.U., 1998)
- Making Lexical Analysis Work (P.U. Research Bulletin, Arts, 1994)
- A fortnightly column on etymology titled Roots has been running in the local newspaper, The Tribune for Fifteen years now.
- ELT in India: How the paradigm changes. (Workshop presentation, International Congress of English Grammar, Sathyamangalam, 2004)
Extension and field outreach activities
As Resource Person
- Phonetics in the Classroom , PGT Teacher Training Course, Kendriya Vidyalaya, Chd., 2006
- Teaching Grammar , PGT Teacher Training Course, RIE, Chd., 2006
- Literary Theory and the Undergraduate Classroom , Refresher Course (UGC Sponsored), P.U., Chd., 2005, workshop
- ELT in India Keynote address and workshop, Teacher Training Course (UGC Sponsored), College of Education, Chd., 2005.
- Navodaya Vidyalaya, Chd. New Methodology in ELT Refresher course for PGDT teachers. 2002, 2003 and 2004
- Interactive Teaching , PGT Teacher Training Course, Navodaya Vidyalaya, Chd., 2001, workshop
- Writing technical reports , Polytechnic college teachers training programme, RIE, Chd., 2008, workshop
- Writing press releases , Polytechnic college teachers training programme, RIE, Chd., 2008, workshop
- Conducting the stage and conducting meetings , Polytechnic college teachers training programme, RIE, Chd., 2008,workshop
- Govt. College, Mohali, Public Speaking and Communication Skills , 2005.
- Panellist, British Council discussion on English: emerging as a global language , D.A.V. College, Chandigarh, January 2005.
- Dept. of Hindi, P.U. Contrastive Analysis delivered to the students of the Diploma in Translation, 2004
- Creative Writing a workshop conducted for school children at Shivalik Public School, Chandigarh, December 2004.
- I.A.S. Coaching Centre, Panjab University, Chd., Series of lectures on Communication Skills and Spoken English , 2004.
- I.A.S. Coaching Centre, Panjab University, Series of Lectures on the History of English Literature to UGC NET aspirants, 2000,2001 and 2002.
- State Bank of India, Chd., Series of Lectures on Communication Skills and English to Probationary Officers, 1999 and 2000.
- British Council Library, Chd., Workshop on Spoken English, November 2006 and September 2007.
Participation in Seminars and Conferences
- International Conference on ELT in India , DAV College, Chandigarh, 2006. Paper presented on An Indian Teacher Resolves a Methodology Dilemma .
- International Annual Conference of Asian EFL, S.Korea, May 2005. Paper presented on The Voyage of ELT in India . Panellist in the panel discussion on ELT In Asia ; represented India on the international panel.
- International Congress of English Grammar, Banari Amman Institute of Engineering and Technology, Sathyamangalam, December 2004. Paper presented on Teaching English in the Indian Classroom . Chaired the session on Methodology in Literature Teaching .
- International Conference on Language in the Mind , National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2000. Paper presented on Interactive-Communicative Teaching and the Young Indian Learner .
- International Conference on Language and Literature of the SAARC Countries BHU, Varanasi, 1998. Paper presented on Teaching English Literature in the SAARC Classroom
- Workshop on General Semantics , Forum on Contemporary Thought , Vadodra, November, 2007.
Membership of Learned Societies and other Academic Bodies
- Member, ELTAI (English Language Teachers Association of India), Chennai.
- Member, IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English as A Foreign Language), U.K.
- Member, TESOL (Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages), S.Korea.
- Associate Editor, Asian EFL online Journal
- Referee, Diviner Research Journal, DAV College, Chandigarh.
6. Associate Editor, Profile Research Journal, Columbia
EXPERIENCE AS EDITOR
- Student editor-in-chief, college magazine, 1980-1982
- Teacher editor-in-chief, college magazine, 1986-1988
- Editor, Campus Reporter, Panjab University 1995-1996
- Assistant Editor, Panjab University Research Bulletin,1997-1998
- Vetting and editing a textbook on Dermatology for the Post-Graduate Institute of Medicine and Research, Chandigarh
- Member, editorial board, HOW International journal on ELT, University of Columbia.
RECENT EVALUATION WORK
- Examiner, IELTS, IDP Australia, examiner, BEC & BULATS British Council
- M.Phil. Dissertation, CIEFL, Hyderabad.
- Panjab University: B.A.I, M.A. (English) I and II
- Jammu University: Hons. School I year (English), M.A. (English) II &I.
- H.P.University: M.A.I (English)
- Punjabi University: M.A.II (English)
- G.N.D.University: B.Com III (Functional English)
- P.U.: MA.I & II (English) & B.A. III
- Pbi. University: M.A.II (English)
- Jammu University: M.A.I & M.A.II (English)
- Examiner, BULATS, British Council
- Examiner, M.Phil and PhD, JNU,Delhi.